The program shall:
- allow SMS students to experience a culturally diverse literature and reading program in which they analyze and interpret a wide variety of works.
-provide students with opportunities to utilize 21st-century skills, specifically: critical thinking, collaboration, communication and creativity.- equip SMS students with the skills needed to organize and present their ideas and information according to their research purpose and intended audience.
- equip SMS students with the skills needed to clarify research questions, and evaluate and synthesize information.
- increase and refine communication skills through vocabulary and writing.
- become self-directed learners who access technology and are able to extract relevant data.
- employ the elements of the writing process to compose texts.
- write a variety of literary texts to express their ideas, experiences, and feelings as well as to communicate ideas and information to specific audiences for specific purposes.