About the Sunnyvale Independent School District
Sunnyvale ISD is located approximately 15 miles from downtown Dallas and is convenient to Lake Ray Hubbard. Residents of our town enjoy both quiet, tree-lined streets and scenic wide-open spaces - and a tremendous sense of community pride! The Town of Sunnyvale was incorporated in 1953 and covers 17 square miles.
In May 2007, voters in the Town of Sunnyvale passed a $25 million bond package for a high school facility. Construction on the 110,000 square foot facility began in April 2008. During the construction phase, the freshmen and sophomore classes were accommodated at Sunnyvale Middle School. The Class of 2011 - the district's first-ever graduating class - began their junior year in the brand new high school facility in August of 2009, along with the incoming freshman and sophomore classes of that school year.
Since that time, SISD had grown dynamically and continues to do so. A new elementary campus was built and students began learning in this state-of-the-art facility in 2012. A middle school expansion and innovative learning wing was added in 2016.
The mission of the Sunnyvale Independent School District is to provide the highest quality education by creating life-long learners through comprehensive academic, athletic, cultural, and extra-curricular opportunities for the children of our community.
Sunnyvale ISD, in partnership with the community, is a stable, safe and caring “hometown” learning environment that focuses on the changing needs of our students and achieves educational excellence.
Priorities of the Sunnyvale ISD Board of Trustees:
Customer Service/Positive Environment
- develop a cohesive process as new students enroll
- provide consistency in welcoming students/parents into our buildings
- extend invitations to parents for participation in events and activities
- continue to expand PK-12 offerings
- increase scope of STEM lab curriculum
- explore course options at the middle school level
- expand course offerings based upon the STEM endorsement
21st Century Learning Skills
- utilize curriculum that integrates the 4 C's with academic knowledge
- offer integrated technology experiences
- rate success based upon the whole child
- create instructional experiences that foster student engagement
- evaluate and expand scope of GT offerings
- maximize dual credit offerings
- focus on individualized counseling and conferencing with students and parents
- offer supplemental opportunities (summer school, tutorials, ACT/SAT prep)
- expand scope of college/career fairs (include scholarship/military)
- increase challenge courses
- encourage application to Top 25% schools
Proactively Address Student Needs
- plan and design a plan for acclimation
- evaluate and address academic needs
- monitor and seek to meet physical needs
- encourage parent and student participation in all aspects of SISD
Sunnyvale ISD will provide TEKS-based curriculum, engaging research-based instruction, and a technology-rich environment that meets the diverse needs of our students. Students will demonstrate academic growth and further develop communication, critical thinking, collaboration, and creativity skills.
Sunnyvale ISD will promote a safe, secure, and orderly school environment by providing programs and resources which ensure appropriate physical, behavioral, and emotional development.
Sunnyvale ISD will facilitate parental involvement and embrace student diversity in order to ensure a positive culture within the school and community. Teacher expectations, critical information, involvement opportunities, and district initiatives will be communicated in a clear, consistent manner.
Sunnyvale ISD will practice recruitment of high-quality staff, monitor staff retention, and provide staff development which enhances professional growth. Teachers will gain necessary skills to provide engaging, research-based instruction that encourages critical thinking, communication, collaboration, and creativity.
Superintendent of Schools: Mr. Doug Williams
President, School Board of Trustees: Mr. Brad Cravens
Assistant Superintendent: Mrs. Christi Morgan
Director of Assessment & Accountability: Mrs. Amy Tutle
Director of Special Programs: Mrs. Erica Lawless
High School Principal: Mr. Ron Sterling, Jr.
Middle School Principal: Mrs. Carmen Ayo
Elementary Principal: Mrs. Sara Staley