English III/English III HonorsHead Girls Track & FieldAssistant VolleyballSunnyvale High School
Classroom Resources:Google Classroom3A: mvep3b5A: amyjk16B: v47nhg97B: kcukya
Tutoring Times:Activity period or by appointment
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________This week in English III:
Overview- Unit 1
Touring American Lit. (Short Stories) *Plot, setting, mood, character, theme (connections/meaning/message)
Writing- Free Write- Original short story, poem
Conventions in Poetry
- Synthesize – combine elements and parts to form a coherent whole
- Inductive reasoning – the process of determining general principles by logic or observation from specific data; reasoning from parts to whole (e.g., all ice I’ve ever felt is cold; therefore, all ice is cold)
- Deductive reasoning – the process of logical reasoning from general principles to specific instances based on the assumed truth of the principle; reasoning from wholes to parts.
- Theme – the central or universal idea of a piece of fiction or the main idea of a nonfiction essay. Themes are ideas or concepts that relate to morals and values and speak to the human experience.
- Literary device – a specific convention or structure—such as imagery, irony, or foreshadowing—that is employed by the author to produce a given effect. Literary devices are important aspects of an author’s style.
Vocabulary- *SAT words
Reading focus- Self-select fiction text *Grade appropriate from library or teacher collectionPresentation- Students will present their original writing to the class
Important Due Dates for Major Projects and Tests: