Literature -- Expressing your own thoughts and ideas through the use of words. Authors submit a single literary work, handwritten or typed, using grade-appropriate grammar, punctuation and spelling. Collections of literary work (such as poems and short stories) are not accepted.
Any of the following literary style are acceptable for your fiction or non-fiction entry: Prose, poetry, drama (screen play and play script), reflective essay, narrative, or short story.
The entry must:
- Be a new and original work based on the theme "Within Reach". A large part of the judging is based how the work relates to the theme as spelled out in the Artist's (written) Statement.
- Not exceed 2,000 words
The entry may:
- Be typed by another person as long as the original work or a copy of the original work is attached.
- Be dictated to another person and printed or typed in exact words as spoken by the student if the student is in Pre-K, Kindergarten or 1st Grade.
- Submit literature entries in their own language. An interpretive translation in English must accompany the entry.
You can read all the rules from the Texas PTA here
Follow these steps to submit a Literature entry:
- Consider the theme, "Within Reach"
- Write a new and original work based on the theme
- Include the following on the back of each page:
- Page Number
- Student Name
- Student Grade
- Title of Work
- Fill out the Reflections Entry Form
- Submit your entry to any school campus