Eligibility -- The National PTA Special Artist Division is an option for students with disabilities who receive services under IDEA or Section 504 to have the opportunity and accommodations they may need in order to participate fully in the program. The Special Artist Division offers modified rules and guidelines to ensure that every student has the chance to be part of the National PTA Reflections program.
You can read all the rules from the Texas PTA here.
How to Enter -- Students who identify as having a disability have two ways to enter the National PTA Reflections Program. All students may enter in only one division.
- Option 1. Enter in Grade-Level Divisions: Regardless of age, students with special needs may enter in the grade division most closely aligned to their functional abilities. Students may not receive assistance other than that which is allowed for all children. The divisions are as follows: Primary (Kinder – grade 2); Intermediate (grades 3-5); Middle School (grades 6-8); High School (grades 9-12). Students are recognized and awarded as part of the general student population without regard to special needs or challenges.
- Option 2. Enter in Special Artist Division: Eligible students entering the Special Artist Division create their own artwork, but may receive non-artistic accommodation and assistance from an adult. Students are recognized and awarded as part of the Special Artist Division.
Follow these steps to submit a Special Artist entry:
- Consider the theme, "Within Reach"
- Create new artwork based on the theme in any of the art categories.
- Review the submission rules for the chosen art category
- Review the submission guidelines for the chosen art category
- Fill out the Reflections Entry Form and choose "Special Artist" instead of an age category
- Submit your entry to any school campus