Music Composition -- the process of creating a new piece of music. The composer is a person who expresses their own thoughts and ideas through the use of sound. The student composer may submit an entry performed by an individual or group. Student composers are not required to perform their composition themselves.
Middle and high school grade divisions require music score/tablature/notation, either traditional or tablature.
Software may be used to produce an audio recording or produce the score.
The piece must:
- Be a new and original work based on the theme "Within Reach". A large part of the judging is based how the work relates to the theme as spelled out in the Artist's (written) Statement.
- Be on a flash drive using MP3, MP4, WMA, WAV, ACC (M4A) or FLAC format
- Not exceed 5 minutes in length and 1 GB in file size
- Not be a video
- Not contain copyrighted material
You can read all the rules from the Texas PTA here
Follow these steps to submit a Music Composition entry:
- Consider the theme, "Within Reach"
- Write a new piece based on the theme
- Record the piece on a flash drive
- Include the following with the flash drive:
- Student Name
- Student Grade
- Title of Work
- Fill out the Reflections Entry Form
- Submit your entry to any school campus