SET A MEET - Saturday, January 27
All events EXCEPT LD Debate
Sign-up opens: November 27
SET B MEET - Saturday, March 3
All events EXCEPT CX Debate
Sunnyvale HS and Mesquite HS Invitational Meet
Date: Saturday, January 27 - Set A
Saturday, March 3 - Set B
SHS and MHS is hosting a LOW-COST UIL Academic Invitational Meet in order to prepare students for UIL District meets.
We are not planning this as a fundraiser for the schools…just a meet to give the students experience competing in an on-site testing environment!
How we will cut the cost:
- No online sign-up through a service. SHS will create a webpage for sign-up purposes.
- Stock ribbons, medals, trophies to cut down on cost.
- One day event. Plan to start at 8:30 a.m. and be completed by 6:00 p.m. (We have hosted invitational and district meets on our campus and successfully completed them by 6:00 p.m.)
Breakdown of cost for school:
- $4.00 entry fee per student for academic events (Accounting, Calculator Apps, Computer Apps, Computer Science (no hands-on), Current Issues & Events, News Writing, Headline Writing, Feature Writing, Editorial Writing, Literary Criticism, Mathematics, Number Sense, Ready Writing, Science, Social Studies, Spelling & Vocab)
- $8.00 entry fee per student for speaking events and debate (Poetry, Prose, Persuasive, Informative, LD, CX)
Judges and Graders
- You must provide one judge for every 6 contestants in Poetry or Prose or pay $50 judges fee.
- You must provide one judge for every 6 contestants in Informative or Persuasive or pay $50 judges fee.
- You must provide one judge for every 3 LD debaters or pay $100 judges fee.
- You must provide one judge for every 2 CX teams or pay $100 judges fee.
- You must provide a grader for each event in which your school has someone entered or student(s) will be disqualified. (This is not to punish the student. Instead, it is a necessity in order to keep on schedule and complete the meet on time.)
There will be seating limits set for the academic events and speaking events based on room size. Sign-up will be open beginning November 27. There will also be a deadline for submitting names of judges for speaking and debate events.
Please email or call Paula Brooks @ email@example.com or 972-203-4600 with questions or concerns. You can also request references from schools that have participated in past district meets at Sunnyvale High School or our low-cost meet last year. Schools you may contact are: Farmersville, Forney, North Forney, Kaufman, Palmer, Mesquite, North Mesquite and Wills Point. We want to make this a great prep day for all who attend.