Our goal as Physical Educators is to help students find a variety of ways to enjoy being physically active so they will develop all of the physical, emotional, intellectual, and social benefits that will enhance their academic abilities.
The Physical Education program offers many exciting skill units including individual and team sports, cooperative learning games, and leadership activities. Students will learn how to make healthy choices, engage in physical fitness, and many more opportunities that will enhance their knowledge in physical education.
To make this program a valuable learning experience for your child/children, the following procedures and expectations are as followed:
Dress Code: Sunnyvale P.E. uniform is required. Each student is required to dress for activity EVERYDAY.
- Uniforms can be ordered online at https://dcw-sales.myshopify.com/collections/17-18-sms-pe-uniform-kits
- Tennis shoes with laces are required in P.E. No flip flops, sandals, open toed
- Athletic shoes only. No sandals, boots, flip flops, crocs etc… If the shoes were not designed to run in, they are not allowed. Safety is our first priority as well as hygiene.
Grading Policy: Grades will be made up of 2 key components:
- The students will receive weekly grades for PE attire, Participation and Effort as well as the Unit Lesson which will include written projects/quizzes on occasions.
Participation= 20 points a day which will equal 100 points weekly. (moderate to vigorous physical activity)
Dress Out= 20 points a day which will equal 100 points weekly.
- Proper PE Attire (TEKS 7.5B & 8.5B) Select and use proper attire that promotes participation and prevents injury. If a student does not have proper shoes for PE,-10 points will be taken from their daily grade. If a student does not dress out in the PE uniform -20 points will be deducted from their daily grade.
- If a student forgets his/her PE uniform, a loaner uniform will be given to the student for the day.
- Participation is mandatory unless you have a written excuse from your parents or a doctor’s note. Notes from home, excusing you from participation, will apply to 1 class period only. After 1 missed class, a doctor’s excuse is required. To be excused from participating, you will need to bring a dated signed note from a parent. If you need to be excused longer than two consecutive PE days, you will need a note from your doctor.
- Students with a medical doctor's note will also be excused from activity.
Lockers & Locker Room
- Each student will have the option to request a locker. The lockers are only large enough to fit clothes, towels, and toiletries. They are NOT big enough to put binders, school books, etc…
- Showering after P.E. is optional and highly recommended.
- Phones are not allowed in the locker room under any circumstance. If we see a phone, it will be taken up and a referral will be given.
- It does not matter if the phone is on or off.
NO CELL PHONES OR ANY ELECTRONIC DEVICES WILL BE ALLOWED IN THE PE LOCKER ROOM.
- Students are expected to be in the gym. Sitting in their role call line before the tardy bell rings or will be counted tardy.
NO GUM CHEWING ALLOWED IN THE GYM OR DURING PE CLASS.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read the information pertaining to the Physical Education Program at Sunnyvale Middle School..
If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact the coaches at the school number 972 226-2922. For more information please check our teacher web pages for email addresses.