SUNNYVALE INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT
CREDIT BY EXAM FOR ACCELERATION – HIGH SCHOOL COURSES ONLY
Credit by Examination (Without Prior Instruction)
Students are eligible to apply for credit by exam, which is earned through satisfactory performance on examinations approved by the SISD school board. Students can earn credit for an academic subject in which the student has not received prior instruction, if the student scores 50 or above on a criterion-referenced examination for acceleration in the applicable course. If such credit is given, the score will be entered on the student’s transcript, but grade points will not be awarded for credit earned through these exams.
Specifics of Acceleration Exams
- Students must complete an application by the deadline date provided.
- A student is given credit in a subject on the basis of an exam on which the student scores 50% (without prior instruction) or 60% (within prior instruction) or higher.
- Students will not receive any high school grade points for these exams and the final grade recorded will be the actual score received on the exam.
- A student may not attempt to earn credit by examination for a specific high school course more than two times.
- If a student fails to earn credit by examination for a specific high school course before the beginning of the school year in which the student would ordinarily be required to enroll in that course according to the district sequence, the student must satisfactorily complete the course to receive credit.
- It is highly recommended that those applying be strong academically and meet all prerequisites for the course for which the student will be tested.
Approved exams include: College Board advanced placement examinations, examinations administered through the College-Level Examination Program, including exams developed by Texas Tech University, The University of Texas at Austin, summative evaluation developed by Apex Learning, and other state-approved instruments. See board policy EHDC (Legal) for further information.
- Students must be enrolled in Sunnyvale Independent School District.
- Students must complete an Application for Credit by Exam. The application must be completed and returned according to the Testing Schedule. See Below. To obtain an applicaiton, please contact Jennifer Settle.
- Students must not have been enrolled, or received prior instruction, in the course for which they are attempting an exam for acceleration.
Credit by Examination (With Prior Instruction)
Students who have received prior instruction in a subject may earn credit by scoring at least a 60 on a test covering the appropriate essential knowledge and skills. Credit by examination is not to be used to gain eligibility for participation in extracurricular activities.
Credit By Exam Dates for 2017 - 2018 School Year
Test Date Application Due Date
October 10 September 8
March 6 February 2
June 5 May 4
August 13 June 22