This Week in Class
Inspire Change Today for a Better Tomorrow
How can literary nonfiction, fiction, and drama texts teach us about how people have worked for social change, teach our peers about empathy, compassion, and gratitude, and create a movement for positive action to inspire others on our campus?
- Research your assigned ambassador that inspired social change and inspired the world in ways that warrant him/her to be chosen as a #WEDay ambassador! Write a biography summary on your ambassador.
- Write a poem that exemplifies your group’s philosophy/belief systems on leadership, heroism, and becoming a world changer.
- Create a Six Word Memoir that represents you or something you are passionate about (individual project requirement).
- Read the play (drama) “This is What Courage Looks Like” and create a plot diagram. Complete all assigned assignments with this play.
- Organize and present your ideas about your group’s #WEday ambassador and all project requirements (your choice of presentation: Google Slides, poster board, tri-fold display, etc.).
- Create a T-shirt design to promote “Be the Change”. The T-shirt must have the logo “Be the Change” and it must have Sunnyvale Raiders on it somewhere. One T-shirt design will be voted on and one design will be selected by the 6th grade to be sold to the SISD community.
(HOOK) - #WeDay Video (imbedded on website) https://www.we.org/our-work/we-day/
Six Word Memoir Video https://www.pinterest.com/pin/200058408433642586/
Research Questions & Links
- What are the differences and similarities of literary nonfiction and fiction? https://bookriot.com/2017/11/02/difference-between-fiction-and-nonfiction/
- What are the key elements in drama? Briefly define each element.
- What is empathy and why is it important to understand empathy in life? https://www.skillsyouneed.com/ips/empathy.html
- What character traits does an ambassador possess? http://examples.yourdictionary.com/character-trait-examples.html
- Why is plot important in fiction and drama? https://www.quora.com/Why-is-plot-important-in-literature
- What is sensory language? Give examples that appeal to each of the 5 senses.
- How do you find theme in literature? https://www.thoughtco.com/how-to-identify-book-theme-739101
- Why is it important to understand point of view when reading literature? https://www.dummies.com/education/literature/understanding-point-of-view-in-literature/
- What is:..
- First person?
- Second person?
- Third person?
- What does inspire & philosophy mean?
- What is a memoir?
- What is social change?
- What is a biography? http://www.literarydevices.com/biography/
- How do you write a summary? https://courses.lumenlearning.com/englishcomp1v2xmaster/chapter/how-to-write-a-summary/
- What is included in a biography? https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/style-and-usage/what-is-included-in-a-biography.html
- Who said the quote, “Be the change you wish to see in the world?” What does this quote mean? (Look at paragraph 5) https://www.huffpost.com/entry/be-the-change-you-want-to_b_569349?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANRhuhpriy2ZVZwBf_FpWXZr6gmSJEjSEFy9LB-IyYC168zlKHj26nMA6IoY2PjgUbMrCJc55UbQOKWLUdMsPZfOq0EwvuVHKHexf464j7ZTBu3ppQavOo8RnRqiga5xw5sYpuQkNNN-Up1WjBbsBtYGOpOx9U8BXrHxj-YbuxWP