This Week in Ms. Henderson's ELAR Class
Week of: October 15-19, 2018
WORKSHOP/TUTOR TIMES: Tuesdays, 3:15-3:45
READY WRITING/6th-8TH GRADES: Wednesday practices, 3:15-3:45
Please sign up for ELA Reminder 101: Text 81010
8th Grade Honors: @e3c47a
7th Grade Honors: @728d68
7th Grade Regular: @a2cc3f7
Ms. Angela Henderson
“The single factor most strongly associated with reading achievement--more than socioeconomic status or any instructional approach--is the amount of time spent in reading independently.”
Students' Writing Published & Class Activities Featured!
Please Follow Us On:
Facebook Page: Kidsbook Friends
Twitter: @Kidsbookfriends & @smslearns
Summer Reading Projects- Pictures will be featured throughout the week on kidsbookfriends_instabooks
What are we learning this week?
8th Grade: Unit 2: Nonfiction
- Wrap up our nonfiction novel NIGHT by Elie Wiesel
- Due Monday, 10/15=Dialectical journal and packet to accompany Night.
Upstander ELU Team Time:
Project ID: 10016-34900
7th Grade: Unit 1 Poetry Wrap-Up: *Please follow Kidsbook Friends on Facebook to see published poems!
- Grammar Grabbers- "Touring Texas with the Great Eight"! We will be literally walking through the eight parts of speech. Students will get to practice their parts of speech at a "Texas Landmark" (photographed).
- Revising/Editing- Students will learn and practice capitalization & punctuation rules along with word choice and sentence variety, so they can be use them in their writing. Personal Narratives are next.
*Preparing for nonfiction reading. Students can enjoy their e-book and/or hardcopy nonfiction book this week. We will do non-fiction texts in the weeks following.
What assignments are due this week?
8th- Dialectical Journal Entries due while reading Night in class.
7th Grade- Poetry Book due on Wednesday (organizing poem into file folder);
Poem selection for CLASS Poetry book due Wednesday (corrected final draft to enter)
Want to donate to our class needs?
- $5 gift card donations for "curiousity card" contest PRIZES!
- New or "Like New" books of popular YA titles for Prizes!!!
- Starbursts & Lifesaver Candies
- Colored pens and mini post-it notes
On-Going Learning Resources . . . what websites, videos, materials will be helpful:
What are the upcoming assignments, projects, tests, etc. for which students should plan?
Please Check Calendar BELOW for Due Dates: 7th Grade Assignments will be in GREEN & 8th Grade Assignments will be in BLUE.