• FAQs

    I have a concern about my child's speech and language development, but he/she is not school age yet, who should I contact about an evaluation?
    If you have concerns about how your child's language is developing and your child is between the ages of 3 and 5, please email me and I will send out a set of forms for you to fill out and return.  After reviewing the completed forms, the SLP will contact you and discuss your concerns.  If an evaluation is necessary, then a face to face meeting will be set up to obtain your written consent and then testing can begin.

    My neighbor told me she had her child evaluated but he did not qualify for services, could I have my child evaluated to see if he is functioning at an age appropriate level?
    There must be a suspected disability in the area of language, articulation, fluency, or voice in order for an evaluation to be completed.  If your child has annual visits with a pediatrician, he/she should be monitoring developmental milestones such as sitting, standing, potty training, diet, and language acquisition.  If he/she has not asked about how your child is communicating, please see Language Milestones on this site for more information.
    My child currently receives speech therapy through an outside, private agency.  Does this mean that she would be able to automatically receive speech therapy through the school?
    The criteria for a child to receive services through the school district is sometimes significantly different than that of a private practice.  Many times, criterion to receive services differ between various states and even between districts within Texas.  The communication disorder must adversely affect the student's educational experience in order for a child to receive services.  What this means is a private practice is able to address any communication issues at their discretion, that may or may not be addressed within the school setting. 
    What are the steps of the referral process?
    When a teacher/parent makes a referral about a student, the teacher fills out a referral packet and then sends home parent forms to fill out.  When all forms have been completed and returned, a face to face meeting is set up with referring teacher, parent, and the Speech Language Pathologist in order to obtain written consent to begin testing if necessary.  Federal Regulations allow for 45 school days from the date the consent is signed before testing must be completed, and an additional 30 days from the date of the report to have an ARD meeting where results are presented to the committee and a recommendation is made whether or not the child has qualified for services. 

    What happens if the referral process does not indicate a need for testing?
    Many times, the referral process is initiated by either teacher or a parent.  Parents may have concerns about their child's language but upon review, it appears the child's speech is developing age appropriately, therefore, no evaluation is necessary at the current time.  All paperwork is kept and can be reviewed at a later date. 
    What is an ARD meeting?
    The ARD committee for a child with a speech impairment is a team meeting and consists of a school administrator, Speech Language Pathologist, a general education teacher, parent, and student , if age 14 or older.  This is an annual meeting to discuss the progress or lack of progress your child is making towards his/her IEP goals, adjust amount of time, and add/discontinue goals. The meetings typically last about 45 minutes.  If you are not available to attend in person, then we can call you and you can "attend" the meeting over the telephone.
    Why do I keep getting the same Notice to the same meeting?
    Per Federal Regulations, we are required to send out 3 of these Notices.  Please sign them and return them in the provided envelope.
    What is an IEP?
    An IEP is an Individualized Educational Plan that is designed by a team #ex# SLP, diagnostician, parent.  Individual goals, objectives, and a schedule of services are developed to meet the unique educational needs of a child who has a disability, as defined by federal regulations. 



    Comments (-1)