Money Matters : Investing and Retirement
Section 1: Investing 101
- Explain how investing builds wealth and helps meet financial goals.
- Examine the relationship between diversification and risk.
- Identify regulatory agencies and their functions.
Section 2: Types of Investments
- Evaluate investment alternatives: money markets, bonds, single stocks, mutual funds, annuities, and real estate.
- Explain the Rule of 72.
- Identify different types of retirement plans.
- Explain how taxes affect the rate of return on investments.
- Understand how pre-tax and after-tax investments work.
- Understand how the stock market works.
- Be familiar with the various retirement account tax treatments.
- Develop a plan for investing; describe how to buy and sell investments.
Section 3: Employer Benefits and Retirement Plans
- Analyze the components of an employer benefits package.
- Explain how compound interest works.
Global Business: Regional Economic Integration
- What Is Regional Economic Integration?
- Stages of Regional Integration
- Pros and Cons of Regional Integration
- The Economic Geography of Regional Integration
- Steps to Regional Integration
- Start Small
- Think Global
- Compensate the Least Fortunate
- Major Classes and Characteristics of Regional Integration
- Regional Blocs Close to World Markets
- Remote Regions with Large Local Markets
- Remote Regions with Small Local Markets
- Does Regional Integration Confound Global Trade?
- The European Union (EU)
- The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
- Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN)
- ASEAN Security Community (ASC)
- ASEAN Economic Community
- ASEAN Sociocultural Community
- The Future of ASEAN
- Regional Integration in Latin America
After covering this chapter, the student should be able to:
- Explain regional economic integration, its evolution, and its benefits and costs.
- Identify how economic geography helps explain, promote, and segment regional integration blocs.
- Identify the primary reasons why countries are now seeking to pursue regional integration at the expense of multilateral trade liberalization.
- Explain why the European Union is seen as the most advanced regional integration bloc.
- Describe how NAFTA has affected U.S.–Mexico bilateral trade in goods and services.
- Explain the importance of ASEAN and indicate why Asia may become the most important free trade region for this century.
- Explain why regional integration in Latin America is challenging, and why there is potential for a grouping like MERCOSUR to become more predominant.
B-LAW - Quiz #2: Types of Contracts
Global Business - Chapter 2 Test Tuesday March 5th
Money Matters - Quiz Friday March 1st on Investing 101